Friday, November 9, 2007

More Percussion Discussion


I always wanted to do something else with the drums. I never wanted to imitate anyone. I wanted to take the drums to another level. You know, as a composer I make it my business to listen to all types of music. That gives me a lot of different strategies to work with when I am in front of the drum set. I guess whatever you said about revolutionizing the art of drumming is the consequence of what I have been working out over the years. There is nothing that comes to you and says “this is what you are going to be.” You have to work for it and decide how you want to sound. It’s a conscious choice not to be like anyone else. After all, life is about making choices. For example, do you want to smoke or not? Do you want to have a drink or not? Do you want to go out or not? It’s a matter of making choices and deciding what you want to do.
Dafnis Prieto, from the latinjazznet interview

No comments:

Post a Comment